Worldwide Steel Buildings is a relatively young company, but after 30 years in the steel business, they now own and operate the largest open-web truss facility in the industry.
Their main office and original factory are in Peculiar, Missouri, and they operate in five states. However, they’re able to ship materials to all fifty states, including Hawaii and Alaska, as well as internationally.
Worldwide Steel Buildings specializes in custom-designed self-assembly kits rather than custom construction at the client’s site. However, for the DIY crowd, they offer over a dozen types of steel building kits that are customizable, as well as steel accessories and steel building components.
Custom Steel Building Kits
Self-assemble steel building kits are a specialty of Worldwide Steel Buildings. Each one can be designed using their website’s 3D Building Designer, or you can work directly with a representative to help with the customization process.
Their kits include:
- Agricultural buildings
- Commercial Buildings
- Industrial Facilities
- Hobby Workshops
- Horse Barns and Arenas
- Recreational Facilities and Venues
- Aircraft Hangars
- Gambrel Barns
- Mini Storage Buildings
- Residential Homes
You can easily adapt these kits for your own needs or design a completely customized building from scratch. Because all of Worldwide’s products are self-assembly, they’re designed to be easy to build even for beginners.
A popular trend in steel buildings is the “barndominium,” or “Barndos.” These are modern farmhouse type buildings that blend living space with recreation.
Steel barndominiums tend to be more energy efficient than wood frame homes, they cost less in maintenance and upkeep, and they can net you better insurance rates because of the steel’s durability.
Steel Building Accessories
To make your steel building truly your own, Worldwide Steel Buildings offers a number of accessories to fully customize your kits.
Worldwide offers the following steel building accessories:
- Slider Doors
- Hangar Doors
- Overhead Doors
- Dutch Doors
- Walk Doors
- Horse Stalls
They also offer insulation, skylights, wall lights, bar joist, and upgraded roof panels. Finally, you can finish off your kits with customizable finishes:
- Gutters & Downspouts
- Concrete Siding
- Eave Lights
- Lightning Rods
- Ridge Vents
Steel Fabrication Services
If you don’t need a whole kit to make your steel building projects complete, Worldwide Steel Buildings can fabricate specific steel structural parts and accessories. These include:
- Bar Joist
- End Columns
- Wind Bracing
Final pricing for a Worldwide Steel Buildings kit may vary depending on your specifications and location, but their website does give some information on what to expect for specific sizes.
For instance, a 48x84x14 screw & bolt together building package which includes deluxe trim normally runs $62,875. It does not include any interior finishing.
On the smaller side, a 24x36x10 with the same package details is $16,568.
Additionally, these prices include customization to ensure that the building you order meets or exceeds local building code requirements.
Worldwide Steel Buildings works with New Century Bank and First Federal Bank to provide financing options for their customers. Instead of just directing customers to the lending institutions, Worldwide takes a more active approach.
You can call Worldwide first, and they walk you through the financing options from New Century and First Federal.
Company Name Reviews & Rating
The Better Business Bureau rates Worldwide Steel Buildings as an A+ accredited business. They’ve been accredited with BBB since 2006.
Only four customers have left reviews with BBB and their current rating is 2/5. Common complaints are poor customer communication and service, but one 1-star review is about a recommended general contractor rather than Worldwide itself.
BBB – 2/5 (based on 4 reviews)
Google – 4.3/5 (based on 102 reviews)
Facebook – 4.8/5 (based on 20 reviews)
Here’s what some customers have said about working with Worldwide Steel Buildings:
Dustin Crabb, Facebook reviews – “I’ve had my home 15 years [sic] was delivered by worldwide buildings, oldest brother put up and it has been absolutely awesome! Best choice I could have ever made! As icynene insulation, could not have went [sic] any better!” (recommended)
Stephan R, BBB – “Good company and friendly people but all that goes out the window when you use their recommended general contractors. They had a recommended general contractor (Clay) that ended up stealing my deposit and never paying it back even though it was their 100% guarantee to do so if the work never proceeded. Use a general contractor that you can trust and not theirs.” (1/5 rating)
Mark Korb, Google reviews – “From the very beginning stages of planning until final installation the people with World Wide [sic] Steel were there for us with their customer service, expertise, and hard work. Jim, Tanner, Larry and many others answered questions and helped with their experience with an amazing outbuilding. We have already had many complements [sic] about the structural integrity and visual looks of the building overall. We are very pleased that we chose World Wide [sic] Steel as our building resource.” (5/5 rating)
- Kits designed to meet local building codes – Other contractors or building kit manufacturers leave sorting out building code requirements to the customers. Not Worldwide Steel Buildings: they work with you to ensure that the kit you purchase meets or even exceeds your local code requirements.
- Long-term warranties – Worldwide Steel Buildings includes a 50-year structural warranty, a 25-year warranty on Galvalume panels, and a lifetime warranty on painted panels.
- In-house manufacturing – Worldwide manufactures its own steel materials rather than buying from a third-party. This gives them greater control over quality and cuts down on costs.
- 98% green buildings – The steel used in Worldwide Steel Buildings kits comes from recycled steel sourced in America.
- They do not provide labor – Unlike other steel building companies, Worldwide Steel Buildings does not provide the actual labor for their buildings. They simply ship the kits to you to handle the construction. They will help you find a local contractor if you need one but dealing with third parties can be risky in terms of quality.
- Nationwide customer service can be lacking – Because Worldwide’s main selling point is shipping pre-designed kits rather than building construction, they don’t need to be local. In fact, they only have a handful of offices in the Midwest. This can cause some issues with customer service because you may not be speaking to a representative who understands your local concerns. They may also recommend local contractors with which they have little to no working experience.