Mueller, Inc. is a steel building manufacturer and metal roofing provider located across the Southwest. They were founded in Ballinger, Texas in 1931 and remain headquartered there today.
They have 36 locations across seven states, including Texas; their territory is almost exclusively in the Southwest. They specialize in a variety of steel buildings and metal roofing projects, as well as customizable metal products for projects you want to tackle on your own.
Mueller, Inc. Services
The primary focus of Mueller, Inc. is metal roofing and steel building frames. That might not seem like much at first glance, but within those categories, Mueller offers a variety of products and services to fit most needs.
The Standard Series – Pre-designed Buildings
Sometimes a custom job may be out of your budget, or maybe you just need a simple structure to fit your needs. Mueller, Inc. not only provides custom layouts, but they also sell pre-designed self-assembly kits for several building types:
- Workshop – 24 x 24 x 10
- Big Workshop – 30 x 40 x 12
- Garage – 24 x 30 x 11
- Small Barn – 30 x 50 x 12
- Big Barn – 40 x 50 x 14
- Big Barn XL – 40 x 60 x 16
Each Standard Series kit comes with the following:
- Cold Form End Walls
- Bolt-together Frame
- Basic Trim Package
- 26-gauge Galvalume Roof (20-year limited warranty)
- 26-gauge Colored Walls in Select Colors (35/40-year limited warranty)
- Anchor Bolt Plans and Erection Drawings
- Framed Opening (centered in one end wall, door not included)
The Big Barn XL kit also includes framed openings centered in both of the end walls.
Custom Living Spaces
Mueller offers prefabricated steel structures that can be easily customized for your ideal living space. The structures even have enough flexibility for open floor plans without needing to have load bearing walls in the interior.
The website has six different examples of the kind of homes they’ve constructed for previous clients, and you can view photos and the square-footage of each one.
Whether you need a storage barn, horse stalls, or livestock quarters, Mueller, Inc. can build it for you. You can build a customized farm or ranch building or choose from three pre-designed standard floor plans in their Standard Series.
Mueller, Inc. can build a custom workshop for you with a variety of features, or you can purchase a prefab building from their Standard Series The two standard sizes are:
- Workshop – 24 x 24 x 10
- Big Workshop – 30 x 40 x 12
The Standard Series Mueller offers has a garage in one standard size. However, just like with their other products, you can also customize a garage from them. They can do anything from a two-vehicle garage or an entire hobby shop garage for an entire car collection.
You might need storage for a wide range of things, from a place to put your RV or just a small backyard shed. Mueller provides enough customization to build whatever you need. They even offer backyard building kits for small storage sheds that you can build yourself.
Maybe you need storage for the business side of your life – maybe you need an entire work building. With Mueller, Inc, you can build whatever you need to get your business on the right track. Some of the buildings they can provide include:
- Bus Barns
They’ve even built business locations for Fastenal, Darnell Construction, and Motec; you can view examples of those projects on the Mueller, Inc. website.
There are six examples of self-storage complexes on Mueller’s website. Each one includes pre-cut, pre-marked steel frames and 26-gauge steel panels. They specialize in climate-controlled storage and RV/boat storage as well.
In addition to steel building frames, Mueller, Inc. specializes in metal roofing. Their roofing services include:
- CFS Panel
- CWH Panel
- CWP Panel
- MSL Standing Seam Panel
- MLK Standing Seam Panel
- AP Panel
- R Panel
- SSP Panel
- U Panel
- Corrugated Panel
- MTL Standing Seam Panel
You can view the specs of each roofing type on their website. Each one comes in over 30 designer colors and includes a paint warranty up to 30 years.
If you don’t need a fully customized building or just want to handle the construction yourself, you can order a prefabricated kit from Mueller. They offer eight different self-assembly kits:
- Standard Series – six sizes
- Backyard Buildings – six sizes
- Greenhouses – five sizes
- Carports – three styles (soffit panels not included)
- Loafing Sheds – two sizes
- Privacy Fencing – three sizes (panel size)
- Homestead Series – three sizes
- Value+ Series – six sizes
Some of the kits are not guaranteed to meet any specific code requirements; Mueller recommends you check your local building codes before purchasing a kit.
Custom Coil & Flat Sheets
Mueller doesn’t just specialize in buildings; they also sell custom orders of coil and flat sheets. They offer the following product options:
- Range of Designer Colors
- Custom Widths and Lengths (min. 200 linear feet, max width 21 feet)
- Custom trim
- 26-gauge sheets – 41 9/16” width
- 24-gauge sheets – 43” width, 48” width
- 22-gauge sheets – 43: width (Weathering Steel and Galvalume Plus only)
Mueller, Inc., like many companies, suggests contacting a sales representative directly to get a quote for your individual project. Many factors go into the price of a project, including materials, shipping, and size.
However, Mueller also provides an interactive building program on their website. There, you can customize your ideal project yourself and get an estimate.
To give you a general idea of Mueller’s pricing, here’s a breakdown of a 1200 square-foot residential building kit from their website:
- 30 x 40 x 23 Main Building – $27,695.00 (tax and freight not included)
- 4/12 Pitch
- 24” Overhangs, with Soffits (not included on porches)
- 10’ x 40’ Front and Back Porch
A custom building and any customizations to the standard kits will always run you more than a pre-assembly product.
Financing is available for Mueller, Inc. products and services through two institutions: First Financial Bank and GreenSky.
First Financial Bank offers the following options for material purchases:
- 12 months no interest
- 36 months with a 5.99% fixed rate
- 120 months with rates as low as 8.99% (qualified customers only)
GreenSky offers two financing options:
- 96 months at 9.99% interest
- No interest payments for 12 months
Mueller, Inc. Reviews & Rating
Mueller, Inc. has been a Better Business Bureau accredited business since 2008. They have an A+ rating based on their number of complaints, years in business, and licensing and government actions. However, they only have a single customer rating through BBB and it’s low.
There are 35 Mueller locations with reviews through Google, and none are below three stars. Each review is for that particular location only, but when viewed together as a group, Mueller has a good rating overall.
BBB – 1/5 (based on 1 review)
Google – 4.06/5 (based on 475 reviews)
Read about what customers are really saying about Mueller, Inc. here:
Brain Bickett, Google reviews (Moriarty, NM location) – “Friendly and supportive people there. Returned my calls and emails promptly and have a wide range of products. Cut all the pieces to order, banded and loaded it all for me. Would recommend them any day!” (5/5 rating)
Robert H, BBB – “The bolt holes in my Mueller Greenhouse do it yourself kit are grossly misaligned. Photos were furnished to illustrate the issue, yet Mueller’s response was basically “deal with it”. The solution is to file or ream out the holes, or to drive a tapered punch through the holes in hopes of getting the bolts in place. Mueller’s explanation is that a computer ounches [sic] the holes, so they have to be correct.” (1/5 rating)
Here’s a video testimonial from Mueller’s website:
What makes Mueller, Inc. a worthwhile provider of steel buildings and metal roofing?
- Impressive design tools and quote access: You don’t have to wait to get on the phone with a Mueller representative or meet them in person to get a quote. Their website has an impressive 3D Design Tool that lets you visualize your project and get a general idea of your project’s cost.
- In-house manufacturing: Mueller, Inc. cuts out the middleman for their material production. They make prefab buildings, metal roofing, transition trim, vents, roll-up doors, and anchor bolt templates all in-house.
- Long-term paint warranties: Mueller has limited paint warranties for up to 35 and 40 years.
As with most businesses, there could be some drawbacks to using Mueller.
- Lax customer service: A common issue found in customer reviews is poor communication with Mueller representatives. This appears to vary based on location, however.
- Issues with pre-drilled materials: Another common issue is that sometimes the prefab kits have pre-drilled holes that are incorrectly spaced or sized. This can cause a lot of extra labor on the customer’s part to fix, and some reviews say that Mueller does not do much to solve the issue.
- Limited information on non-paint warranties: although their paint warranties are impressive, there’s very little information on warranties for their buildings as a whole. It could be something that varies per project, but it would be more comforting to know up-front how they guarantee their work.