Metal building kits are popular as they allow for easy construction and simple additions if your requirements increase in the future. Fine-tuning this, we find that a prefab 40 x 120 metal building with a floor area of 4800 square feet is ideal for companies that need basic initial business premises.
But how much will one of our versatile Rex prefabricated metal buildings cost you?
As of November 2022, expect estimates for the cost to build a metal prefab structure to be about $12-$14 per square foot. Therefore, a 40 x 120 metal building costs about $58,000-$67,500. However, these prices might vary depending on insulation requirements, specialist designs, and local building codes. Our designers also assume your land has certain gradient specifications, minimal snow loads, and light wind speeds. Expect to pay extra for a custom build to your specifications.
Many of our customers adapt our prefabricated metal buildings to suit their company’s purpose. It’s common to find our prefabs in use as:
- Commercial workshops.
- Churches, schools, and meeting places.
- Climate-controlled warehouses.
- Manufacturing spaces.
- Office premises.
- And much more!
*Disclaimer: Prices quoted on this page are subject to change. Also, availability varies by state and region. Contact us today for the most up-to-date quote.
40×120 Metal Building Uses
Earlier, we mentioned the most popular uses for Rex Metal Buildings. But, there are many more you can choose from.
Many of our customers use our buildings for personal use, as they recognize our pre-engineered prefabricated metal buildings have significant advantages over wooden-built structures. Here are a few reasons for a private individual to buy a Rex Metal Building.
Potential Personal Applications
- Vehicle, Boat & Aircraft Garages, and Hangars: There are significant benefits to having a dry and warm structure to store and maintain your expensive vehicles.
- Sheds & Storage Buildings: Some items need constant temperature and humidity control for optimum storage conditions.
- Agricultural Buildings: Homesteaders need storage and shelter for equipment, seed, and livestock. Metal buildings keep seeds dry and protect them from vermin, while livestock is protected from extreme weather.
- Hobby & Light Industry Workshops: DIYers need workshops and material storage spaces. What better option than to buy a prefabricated, insulated metal structure with a floor area suited to the hobby?
Steel prefabricated panels don’t split or warp with age as wood does. Therefore, when you buy your Rex Metal Building, you have less ongoing maintenance than wooden structures need. Contact us for a quotation today.
Commercial properties are difficult to build, buy or rent because of strict zoning laws and building code restrictions for height and floor area. However, because our structures are metal panels, the framing systems can expand to suit the size of the business, with the opportunity to customize size or configuration in the future. The following are a few reasons to buy a Rex Metal Building for your business or organization.
Potential Commercial Applications
- Office Buildings: You can configure your building’s footprint and quickly erect and dismantle internal walls to suit your needs.
- Retail Shops: Steel prefabs aren’t just for industrial units. Modern engineering provides stylish designs suitable for retail outlets.
- Warehouses: Your company’s products are valuable and represent a substantial investment. Our metal, prefabricated buildings provide a secure storage facility for all types and sizes of products. And with the inclusion of roller doors, your trucks can enter the structure, effectively protecting the loading and unloading process from prying eyes and the weather.
- Gymnasiums & Sports Halls: Our metal structures will accommodate your community’s most extensive sports layout. Not only will our prefabs provide space for standard gym equipment, but you can use a larger building for weatherproofing basketball, soccer, and even pony riding. What more could you want?
- Churches: When your community needs a meeting place, contact Rex Metal Buildings, where you can buy the floor area suited to your community’s size. And, if your neighborhood increases substantially in the future, you can quickly increase the building’s size by adding extra rooms.
- Automotive Shops: Great car repairs or restoration need a warm, clean environment with plenty of light, provided by our metal prefabs. Divide the shell into paint spraying, engine work, body repair, and even a place for the team to wash up after a hard day. And, if your business involves car sales, you can provide a retail area insulated from the rest.
- Manufacturing: Some companies need manufacturing space, and yours might be one of them. We supply structures the right size to accommodate any manufacturing process. The building’s footprint depends on the items you make; we can customize this to suit your specifications.
Contact Rex Metal Buildings for a no-obligation quotation when you need customized commercial premises.
Farm buildings are traditionally built using wood as their primary structural material. However, as great as wood might be, prefabricated metal structures are much more versatile and provide a fantastic solution for varied agricultural applications.
Potential Agricultural Applications
- Farm Buildings: Metal prefab buildings are ideal for general farm structures. Our prefabs are versatile, and you can extend and reconfigure them as your requirements change.
- Grain Storage: Rex Metal Buildings are dry, insulated against extreme temperatures, and rodent-proof. Therefore, if you need to store grain, seed, or other arable produce, look no further than our range of prefab metal buildings.
- Riding Arenas: Learning to ride is a skill you persevere with. However, some parts of the country are at the mercy of the elements. Many climate zones have wind, rain, and cold temperatures for several months, preventing many people from enjoying the riding experience. That’s where our metal buildings come into their own. Riders can exercise their ponies all year round, protected from the worst weather.
- Dairy & Milking Facilities: When it comes to foodstuffs, you need a building that can be easily kept clean and sterilized. You can line the interior of our metal prefab buildings with food-grade coverings for maximum food hygiene. And, the area is rodent proof too.
- Livestock Shelters: Some regions of the US face extreme weather, and your livestock needs protection during these difficult times. Provide your cattle and other livestock with shelter from extreme cold, dust, wind, and blistering heat with a temperature-controlled and dry structure.
- Equipment Storage: Agricultural machinery costs many thousands of dollars. Therefore, you need somewhere secure to store it. Furthermore, you need a sheltered space for regular maintenance. Rex Metal Buildings are ideal.
Call our sales team to discuss your requirements if you need a structure for agricultural use. We’ll be pleased to give you a quotation for a prefabricated metal building to suit your needs.
Rex Metal Buildings are pre-engineered and ready for all kinds of industrial use. We have structures with column-free interiors able to accommodate mezzanines, cranes, and other industrial requirements. And they have the strength and security you get from an all-metal shell. Rex Metal Buildings are designed and engineered to suit almost any industrial setting and will save your business money in the long term. We can customize a bare shell with internal dividers, mezzanines, and office areas, all to suit your unique business needs in line with the varied engineering and construction codes in your state.
Potential Industrial Applications
- Factories: We can customize our metal structures to suit the layout of your manufacturing processes. And, to save on energy bills, we can insulate every outside wall with the correct thickness and R-Value of insulation for your climate zone.
- Fulfillment centers: Mail order services need space for item storage that’s proof against extreme temperatures and pests. Customized metal buildings are ideal for this purpose.
- Crane buildings: Many industrial settings require cranes and other mechanized handling equipment. However, the building’s interior must be free from columns and other structural supports. Our prefabricated metal structures fulfill this need.
- Warehouses: Many businesses need storage for their manufactured goods, easily transferred onto waiting trucks. We can provide a prefab kit to suit the size of your business and include roller doors and loading bays in the design.
- Offices: All industrial businesses need offices where the design, administration, and management employees spend their days. We can provide separate office buildings or use acoustically insulated offices incorporated into the main manufacturing building, customized specifically for your office workers.
If you need a manufacturing area or offices, call Rex Metal Buildings’ sales team, who will be happy to assist with the design and layout of your prefab building and provide a very competitive quotation.
Optional Accessories & Customization
One of the most significant advantages of metal prefab kits over wood construction is the strength of the construction material. Metal has a superior strength-to-weight ratio, providing an ideal structurally sound building. Keeping yourself and your valuable items safe and secure inside the outer shell is also easier.
Furthermore, the metal panels remain square and plumb, so you spend less on costly repairs. Finally, the engineered designs and superior materials allow you to insulate the building from temperature extremes, prevent noise pollution, keep out pests and save money on your energy bill. However, probably the best aspects are the level of customization and the many accessories we can provide.
If you wish, our designers can customize every aspect of your metal building, including its outward appearance, height, floor size, and energy efficiency. You can choose from many different types of personnel and vehicle doors to suit your access requirements and the size of your vehicles.
Also, we have varied window designs, thermal and acoustic insulation packages. But, the best part is that everything arrives on-site in kit form, ready to install. Just give us your requirements, and we’ll ensure your metal structure complies with local and state codes to provide a cost-effective industrial building to meet your company’s unique requirements.
Metal buildings are versatile, especially when you need wide open spaces for vehicles or industrial equipment. It doesn’t matter how much space or the design’s complexity your processes need. We can fulfill or exceed every requirement. Thus, giving you great value for money.
We can also provide a fully trained erection team that knows how to fit together your new purchase in the least possible time. Or, you can organize that yourself. This means that you’ll be up and running as quickly as possible and able to make money on your new premises.
40×120 Metal Building Insulation Costs
Suppose your business needs a climate-controlled facility or a comfortable working environment for the workforce. In that case, you need insulation to prevent the interior from becoming too cold in winter or too hot in summer. However, using the correct insulation is vital to create massive savings on your energy costs. But, while this is the primary benefit of insulating your structure, you must also consider the others. Adding enough insulation provides comfort for your workforce regardless of the outside temperature. It also provides sound insulation from outside noise. Or, muffles sound from your inside operations for nearby residents.
Insulation doesn’t cost much compared to savings on energy costs and goodwill with your neighbors. In fact, it’ll pay for itself many times over in energy savings alone.
Energy savings payback
The return on your investment when insulating the structure depends partly on the following:
- The building’s external wall and roof area.
- The average regional climate.
- The region’s required insulation R-Value.
We can maximize your energy savings by using the correct thickness and type of insulation, vapor barriers, and thermal blocks in the building’s design. Frequently, our customers see up to a 50% reduction in energy costs when their building is correctly insulated. Often, this provides a payback of around two years. In simple terms, suppose you save $150/month in heating costs. This equates to about $18,000 over ten years.
Decreased wear and tear on HVAC
Many customers don’t realize that correct insulation reduces the load on mechanical ventilation systems, air-con, and furnaces. Rather than these systems suffering excessive wear by continually turning on and off, they work as designed by gently maintaining the temperature at the correct level. And, this tremendous cost saving over time isn’t generally noticed in your day-to-day overhead calculations.
Uninsulated metal buildings transmit sound easily and suffer from unwanted echoes within the structure. Insulated lining reduces acoustic transmission inwards, reducing sonic distractions for people in offices and livestock in farm buildings. Furthermore, insulation will muffle your operation’s sound and reduce the ambient noise level for neighbors. Unfortunately, you can’t put a price on reduced sound pollution. But, you’ll have a happier workforce, neighbors, and livestock.
Price of Insulation products
Two of the most popular insulation methods are precut fiberglass and spray-on foam.
Fiberglass costs from $0.35/sq.ft. for 3″ R-10 insulation, to $1.30/sq.ft. for a double layer 9.5″ R-30 insulation. Generally, steel erection contractors include insulation installation costs in their quotations. However, you can retrofit this insulation yourself or hire a specialist company.
Spray-on foam costs around $1.00/sq.ft/inch of insulation, where 1″ of foam corresponds to R-7 insulation. This price includes installation as foam adheres to the inside surface of the exterior metal walls and must be installed on new construction.
When insulating metal buildings, you might be eligible for environmental tax credits and deductions for maintaining an environmentally friendly structure. However, many factors come into play, such as your climate zone and the R-Value of the insulation. So, it’s best to consult your tax advisor on the available federal and state tax benefits.
What’s Included In Our Metal Building Kits?
We supply everything necessary to install your 40 x 120 metal building kit onto a pre-installed concrete base, including:
- Steel framework, including members, supports, and roof trusses.
- Roofing panels.
- Side paneling.
- Building anchors.
- All fastening hardware, nuts, and bolts.
- Doors and windows.
- Any other customized features such as trim etc.
Provide the overall dimensions (height, width, eave height, configuration), type of doors and windows, insulation, and any customized features, and leave the rest to us. Contact Rex Metal Buildings’ sales team if you need assistance.
Need a Totally Custom Build?
The great thing about a metal building kit is that we can fully customize it to suit your unique requirements. So, if you need a purpose-made metal building, get in touch immediately.
Have you a pre-designed specification? Or, do you want us to handle the blueprints? Either way, our team has extensive experience with custom builds and is sure to exceed your expectations.
When considering a construction project, you must adhere to local and state building codes. Remember that some buildings are exempt, while others aren’t. But, it’s up to you to research which codes apply before placing an order with us, as we don’t accept any liability for non-compliance.