Quonset huts are prefabricated steel buildings with an approximate semi-cylindrical profile.
The U.S. government introduced Quonset huts in 1941 as a quickly built and easily transported semi-permanent, general-purpose building for military use.
Since the Second World War, the designs have diversified to suit specialized applications, but they have retained the approximate shape and are still easily assembled by non-skilled labor.
Today, these structures are one of the premier prefabricated steel buildings available in the U.S., with many companies supplying both new and used Quonset huts.
Why Buy A Quonset Hut?
We should buy a Quonset hut rather than a rigid framed steel building for several reasons.
Let’s have a look at a few of these.
The arch design combined with good quality steel creates a building that is one of the most robust structures available.
The Quonset hut’s arch design creates a structure that withstands many weather conditions.
Generally, Quonset hut profiles are proof against almost anything Mother Nature can throw at us: fire, heavy snow, hail storms, strong winds up to and including hurricane force, and even earthquakes.
More Usable Space
The arch design of a Quonset hut doesn’t need frames, beams, or trusses. Also, there’s no need for pillars or other types of load-bearing supports to interfere with the internal floor space.
The structure has a clear-span design giving you an open space available to customize as you want.
Quonset hut designs are simple for non-skilled labor to assemble. Anyone with basic DIY knowledge, a few tools, and a couple of strong-arm buddies can quickly assemble the outer shell.
Therefore, you cut construction costs by not hiring specialist construction workers. However, if you aren’t much of a handyman, you can hire a local general contractor to do the work.
Any professional will find a Quonset hut simple to erect and will cut down on the construction time, thus reducing labor costs.
If your Quonset hut uses good-quality steel, it will need very little maintenance over the years, thus saving even more money.
Can You Buy Quonset Hut Kits Online?
Many people believe that they can buy a Quonset hut online and have it delivered just like any other commodity. Indeed, that’s what the internet and online shopping are all about.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that.
Every customer has a specific purpose for their steel arched building, which requires unique specifications and a particular design calculated by our specialist team.
Therefore, its width, length, height, or any features such as garage doors, personnel doors, windows, etc., all have a bearing on the hut’s design.
So, to get the most from your Quonset hut purchase, you need to interact with our sales and design team, which means you can’t buy online. But, you can get multiple quotes from various suppliers using the internet and email.
We at Rex Metal Buildings believe in making life easy for our customers.
So, buying a Quonset hut from us is easier if you fill out the form on this page. Then, we will contact you as soon as possible and discuss what you want.
Isn’t that better than buying a generic steel arch building that may or may not fulfill your requirements?
Quonset Building Available For Sale
As we’ve already stated, the size and design of your Quonset hut will be unique to you and your application. However, knowing an approximate cost as a starting point for your research is helpful.
Here are some typical Quonset hut sizes and their approximate prices.
|12 ft x 12 ft||144 sq. ft.||$2,000-$6,000|
|24 ft x 12 ft||288 sq. ft.||$4,500-$8,500|
|30 ft x 40 ft||1,200 sq. ft.||$18,000-$36,000|
|40 ft x 60 ft||2,400 sq. ft.||$36,000-$70,000|
|60 ft x 100 ft||6,000 sq. ft.||$50,000-$180,000|
Note: Prices in this guide are approximate and subject to change. Every design is unique, so use this data as a starting point for your research. Contact the Rex Metal Buildings sales team using the form on this page for no-obligation, up-to-date prices.
We Do Not Offer Military Surplus
Several Quonset hut suppliers offer cheap military surplus buildings as part of their inventory. Rex Metal Buildings does not provide this service.
However, you are more than welcome to use our free quote service using the form on this page.
You never know; you might be pleasantly surprised as our quotes may save you money, and you’ll get precisely what you want rather than someone else’s castoffs.
Using the form is a free service, and you will receive a callback as soon as possible, usually within the hour.
Quonset Hut Uses
You might ask yourself: what can I use a Quonset hut for?
There are many potential uses that you can put this versatile structure to. Here are just a few of them.
Because of the open floor space, you can erect and dismantle temporary internal walls to suit your office layout.
A company’s products are a valuable commodity. A storage space enclosed by solid steel provides a secure warehousing facility for all types of products.
Choose roller doors for the end wall, and you have room to drive the truck inside the structure, protecting the stock and the loading process from prying eyes and inclement weather.
Churches and Community Halls
All communities need a meeting space, and using a Quonset hut allows you to choose a size to suit your gathering.
Because the length is easily customized, you can add more arches as your community grows.
Many companies make products that need plenty of room.
So, choose the correct size Quonset hut to accommodate your manufacturing process.
Hay and other livestock feed must be kept dry and out of the weather.
A Quonset hut is ideal for this purpose, and you can choose to have the structure open-ended or fully enclosed.
Some parts of the US face extreme weather, and your livestock needs protection from the intense sun, cold winds, sleet, or snow.
A Quonset hut is ideal for keeping cattle safe from the elements.
Quonset huts are so versatile that you can design one as a temporary or permanent dwelling place. Furthermore, the building doesn’t have to look like a corrugated steel monstrosity.
There are many ways to ensure your dwelling looks attractive and somewhere to be proud of. Ask our design team for some ideas.
Quonset huts are great for this type of storage, and you can customize the basic shape to suit your unique requirements.
They can be small enough to house a single car or large enough for an entire automobile fleet, RV motorhomes, agricultural vehicles, or even aircraft.
Ask our sales team to help you decide which is best for you.
Quonset Hut Styles
There are several basic Quonset hut styles available for purchase depending on what you need the structure for:
- ‘A’ style – This hut type has straight sides and a slightly peaked roof ridge. Its profile allows it to blend into other buildings with a more conventional appearance. Typically, this style’s width varies from 16 ft to 40 ft, with varying ridge heights. You can have this building as long as you want. All that’s needed is to add more arch sections.
- ‘Q’ style – This hut type is a more traditional Quonset hut with an arched roof and no straight sides. Widths are from 16 ft to 125 ft. However, the height will be equal to or less than half the width. Once again, we can extend the length simply by adding more arch sections.
- ‘S’ style – This hut has straight sides like an ‘A’ style but has an arched roof. The straight sides allow the customer to use all the open floor space to store large vehicles, etc. Widths vary from 10 ft to 75 ft, while the roof has varying heights depending on the size of the side walls. You can extend the length by adding more arch sections.
- ‘X’ style – This hut has sloped walls and a peaked ridge on the roof. Widths range from 20ft to 60ft and have varying roof heights depending on the size of the side walls. We can extend the building’s length by adding more arch sections.
Questions Before You Buy
If you contact a reputable Quonset hut supplier, you should be pretty safe from scams and con artists.
However, you will potentially be spending a heap of hard-earned money on your new Quonset hut.
So, it makes sense to equip yourself with as much information as possible before contacting the supplier, whether they are reputable or not.
Is a Quonset hut the right building to buy?
This is probably the most common mistake people make. You need to know what the building will be for and what other options are available.
You might buy the wrong steel structure if you don’t know these facts.
A reputable supplier will try to steer you in the right direction so you get the correct building for your purpose.
What is the total cost?
Buying a Quonset hut kit is an excellent way to cut costs.
But, other parts of the project need to have money allocated too. And people often forget these, assuming the kit is all they need to buy.
The following are just a few additional costs that might be incurred when purchasing a building kit:
- Foundations and flooring
- Building permits
- Land clearing and preparation
- Electricity, plumbing, and drainage
- Rainwater management
- Doors and windows
- Internal partition walls
- Interior finishing
Try to determine the approximate costs of each of these before you go ahead with your purchase.
Then, you will manage your total budget more effectively.
Is my purchase cheap, expensive, or somewhere in the middle?
Many people often go for the cheapest Quonset hut available while trying to save money. This isn’t the right attitude.
Instead, consider the following:
- Would you be proud to own this building?
- Does it provide what you need?
- How much is it worth?
- Will I experience hidden costs later, such as maintenance problems and high heating or air conditioning bills?
- Do I need to spend additional funds to insulate, and add plumbing, drainage, and electrical? Also, do I need to landscape the outside, such as providing space for cars, gardens, etc.?
- How easy is it to alter the structure if my requirements change?
- Is the supplier likely to cease trading, causing me to lose warranties?
Generally, don’t aim for the cheapest on the market.
Usually, it’s a false economy, and you get what you pay for. Likewise, do you really need the most expensive Quonset hut?
Typically, the best product to aim for is a mid-range priced model.
You should always research the manufacturer or supplier to buy a good quality product. Remember, when you purchase a Quonset hut, you will talk to someone via phone or email.
Unfortunately, there are very skilled salespeople out there who want your money in exchange for a shoddy piece of equipment.
So, it’s essential to ask them:
- Does the company specialize in steel buildings, particularly the steel building you want to purchase, in this case, a Quonset hut?
- How long has the company been making or selling steel buildings?
- Have they a guarantee or warranty on their products?
Have I got enough building experience to erect a kit?
Steel building kits, especially the Quonset hut, are designed for erection using unskilled labor. And this is always the case for small to medium-sized buildings.
However, if you have a kit for an installation larger than 80 ft wide and 20 ft high or has a complex design, you should ask for professional help.
Ask the supplier if the kit you purchase is suitable for DIY construction.
Pros And Cons Of Quonset Hut Kits
Like anything in life, there are advantages and disadvantages to choosing a Quonset hut.
- Arched buildings such as Quonset huts are highly efficient with very little waste.
- They are easily customized within the confines of the arched profile.
- Using good quality, galvanized steel, Quonset huts are rust-proof and have a long life span.
- Up to four people can easily and quickly erect a Quonset hut kit, depending on the structure’s size. Additionally, you need a socket wrench, some rope, and scaffolding.
- Quonset huts span up to 80 ft giving you a sizeable clear floor area.
- Generally, Quonset hut kits cost less than other metal-building kits.
- With an arched profile, Quonset huts can withstand high winds and heavy snow loads.
- The building is entirely free from internal support structures, freeing up the floor space.
- The arched profile means the floor area near the side walls is almost unusable. Also, the curved roof means there is limited head space. Therefore, not all of the building’s volume can be used efficiently.
- Unless you invest in some acoustic insulation, you will be plagued by the noise of rain on the roof. Have you ever heard rain on a corrugated steel roof? It’s like that, only worse. So don’t skimp on the insulation.
- Because you can’t use conventional rainwater guttering and downpipes, you must be imaginative when designing your rainwater management system.
How Long Do Quonset Huts Last?
According to the online Today’s Homeowner magazine, manufacturers guarantee the walls of a Quonset hut for up to 40 years. But, the average life expectancy is more like 80 years.
The deciding factor in life expectancy is the thickness and quality of the steel used in the construction.
Here are some popular questions we get from customers all the time.
Is a Quonset better than a pole barn?
This answer depends on what you want from your building.
A pole barn requires trusses and support columns to support the roof. This, in turn, uses valuable internal space.
In contrast, a Quonset hut has no interior supports, providing a clear inner span.
What is the best type of foundation for a Quonset?
Foundation baseplates are the best foundation type for Quonset huts. The foundation consists of a metal frame embedded within concrete.
Then, after erection, bolt each arch panel’s foot to the frame rather than being directly embedded in the concrete. This method lets you easily remove or adjust the arch panels if necessary.
Are Quonset huts safe from hurricanes?
Not only are Quonset huts designed to withstand hurricane-force winds, but they can also withstand fire, snow loads, tornadoes, and seismic activity.
However, resisting these natural forces depends on the steel’s quality and thickness and the method of fixing to foundations.
Generally, manufacturers test Quonset Huts to winds up to 190mph or higher, are HVHZ (High-Velocity Hurricane Zone) certified, and have a Florida Product Approved certification.
You are probably interested in buying a Quonset Hut kit from Rex Metal Buildings. If so, complete the form on this page.
Then, someone will get back to you as soon as possible to discuss your requirements. It’s a no-obligation, free service, and we will do our best to find you a Quonset Hut that serves your purpose precisely.